Awards & Honors
Summa Cum Laude
Summa Cum Laude is for the student who earned a 4.0 GPA or above for all four years. The student will be awarded a gold cord to wear at their graduation.
Magna Cum Laude
Magna Cum Laude is for the student who earned between a 3.75-3.99 GPA for all four years. The student will be awarded a silver cord to wear at graduation.
Minimum requirements for all Honor Cords:
- Cords must be associated with an active course.
- Student must be a senior graduate in good standing for the current year.
- Student must have at least three years (or equivalent) in the discipline for which she/he is being honored.
- Student must have a minimum overall total weighted GPA of 3.0.
- Student must have the approval of the Assistant Principal of Discipline (attendance and discipline records must be above satisfactory).
- Student must have advisor/teacher approval.
Honor Cord-specific Requirements:
Academic Decathlon: red/black cord
Member of the AcaDeca team
American Sign Language
Six consecutive semesters of ASL with a B or higher
ASB Leadership: red cord
Must complete three years or more with an A average
Active participation in school improvement
AVID Scholar: purple cord
Must be enrolled in AVID Senior Seminar
Must be an “a-g” completer
French: black cord
Three years or more of French
B average last four semesters
Mathematics: orange cord
Must complete at least one AP math course
Earn a grade of B- or higher in all math courses
Performing Arts, Choir: white cord
Four years in Choir or Show Choir with at least a B average
Performing Arts, Band: white cord
Four years participation in a combination of Wind Ensemble, Concert or Jazz Band
(awarded at Band Director's discretion)
Performing Arts, Drama: white cord
Minimum 3.0 GPA in performing arts classes
Must be currently active in the program
Scholar of Science: green cord
Must pass either AP Biology or AP Physics with a B or better.
Complete eight semesters of science coursework (some may be in progress), earning an A in regular coursework or a minimum B- in AP or HP coursework.
Social Science: red/white/blue cord
Pass all three AP courses (AP World Hist/AP U.S. Hist/AP Gov’t)
Score 3 or higher on World Hist and U.S. Hist AP exams
Spanish: red/gold cord
One year membership in Spanish Club
U.S. Army JROTC: black/gold cord
Must be enrolled in JROTC during senior year
Must maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA
Visual Arts: rainbow cord
Three years in any Visual Arts class
This is a school-wide program that rewards students for improved scholarship, attendance and behavior. A variety of incentives and rewards are given for each card.
Platinum Card: for the student who earns a 4.0 GPA or higher with no U’s for the triad
Gold Card: for the student who earns a 3.5 - 3.99 GPA with no U’s for the triad
Silver Card: for the student who earns a 3.0 - 3.49 GPA with no U’s for the triad
Bronze Card: for the student who earns a 2.5 -2.99 GPA with no U’s for the triad or for students who improved their GPA by .5 or greater with no U’s for the triad
Principal’s Honor Roll: GPA of 4.00 and above
Gladiator Honor Roll: GPA of 3.50 - 3.99
Honor Roll: GPA of 3.00 - 3.49
At the end of each semester, students automatically qualify for the Honor Roll based on their total weighted GPA (grade point average).
California Scholarship Federation (CSF)
The purpose of CSF is to foster high standards of scholarship, service, and citizenship.
- For Life Membership (seal bearer), the student must be a member of CSF for four semesters, including one during senior year.
- At the time of graduation, the chapter seal shall be embossed upon the diplomas of all students who have qualified for Life Membership (seal bearer) and the achievement of Life Membership shall be indicated on students' permanent office record cards and transcripts.
- Gladstone High School will allow the student to wear a white graduation gown and sit in front for the senior picture and graduation.
- *CSF requires that students must apply each semester.*