The best place for parents to start their involvement is at their own child's school, from volunteering in the classroom and chaperoning field trips to serving as a member of the school site council. There are also ways to serve at the district level.SUPERINTENDENT'S PARENTS ROUNDTABLE
Meetings are held Thursdays of every other month from 9:00 - 11:00 a.m. at the AUSD District Office, Board Room, 546 So. Citrus Ave., Azusa, CA 91702
For questions, please contact Kathy Purpero at 626-858-6152.DISTRICT ENGLISH LEARNER ADVISORY COMMITTEE
What is the DELAC?
A district is required to form a DELAC if it has 51 or more English learner students. The committee is comprised of school staff, parents of EL students, other parents and community members who are interested in English learner programs. At least 51 percent of the committee must be made up of parents of English learner students who are not employed by the district. DELAC members are elected by ELAC members at school sites.
The purpose of the DELAC is to advise EL services and programs offered by the district. As an advisory group, DELAC member duties include:
- Developing a Master Plan for educational programs and services to English Learners.
- Conducting a district-wide needs assessment on a school-by-school basis.
- Establishing district program goals and objectives for English Learners.
- Developing a plan to ensure compliance with teacher and paraprofessional requirements to teach English Learners.
- Administrating the annual language census.
- Reviewing and commenting on the district’s reclassification procedures for English Learners.
The overall goal of the DELAC is to improve our English learners’ acquisition of fluency in English and to help our students achieve academic success.
All DELAC meetings including subcommittees are required by law to be open to the public. DELAC meeting agendas should include student achievement data, reclassification data, and discussion aimed to increase parental involvement. Items not listed on the agenda cannot be voted upon.