BOARD OF EDUCATION FOR TRUSTEE AREA 1 - ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
October 13, 2022
The Azusa Unified School District is now accepting applications for those interested in being considered for an appointment to a vacancy on the Board of Education for Trustee Area 1. Any person eligible to hold office may apply. To view a map of Trustee Area 1, see page 5 of the application packet or visit https://www.lavote.gov/apps/precinctsmaps
• The first drop-down will automatically show “District & Precinct Map Look Up by District”
• In the District type drop-down, select “Unified School”
• In the District drop-down, select “Azusa Unified School”
• In the Please Select a Sub District drop-down, select “Azusa Unified School TA1”
• Click submit
Application Deadline: Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 25, 2022, and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or hard copies can be dropped off at the District Office, attention to Arturo Ortega. In addition to the application, applicants may attach up to three (3) additional pages that may include a resume, letter of interest, and/or letters of recommendation/support. Applications received after the closing time will not be considered.
In accordance with Education Code Section 35107, to be eligible as a member of a governing board of a school district, an interested party must be:
● 18 years of age or older
● A citizen of the state
● An Azusa resident residing within the boundaries of Trustee Area 1
● A registered voter
● Not disqualified by the Constitution or laws of the state from holding a civil office
● An employee of the school district may not be sworn into office as an elected or appointed member of that school district’s governing board unless and until he or she resigns as an employee. If the employee does not resign, the employment will automatically terminate upon being sworn into office.
To download the application packet, click the link below. Hard copies of the application are available in the District Office lobby located at 546 S Citrus Ave. Azusa, CA 91702.
Map Selection For CVRA
Dear AUSD Community:
The Board of Education has been working to transition to a by-trustee area election system. In December, the Board voted on a proposed trustee area map. The map and selection process were presented to and approved by the county. The first by-trustee area election using map scenario 2, will be the November 2022 election.
The Azusa Unified School District (AUSD) currently elects its Board of Education members through an at-large election system. Under this system, candidates for the Board of Education can reside anywhere in AUSD's area of service and are elected by the registered voters that reside within AUSD's area of service.
A By-Trustee Election System is one in which the district's area of service is divided into By-Trustee areas, and voters in each By-Trustee area choose their Board of Education representative, who must also live in that By-Trustee area.
On January 12, 2021, the AUSD Board of Education declared its intent to transition to a By-Trustee Area Election System.
Pursuant to Election Code Section 10010, AUSD will conduct a series of public hearings to receive community input on the composition of proposed election geographic areas for Board of Education seats. It is of the utmost importance that residents participate and provide feedback during the upcoming public hearings. It is the District’s desire to ensure that the proposed By-Trustee Areas reflect communities of interest and that the community is involved in this process.